Sunday, March 22, 2009

Americans don't know how to be family

"Americans don't know how to be family. It's like this country, he explains; so many long distances between them. But now I'm not so sure he's right. This guy looks pretty sad, and besides, my family doesn't seem to be soo close anymore. Taslima and Uncle, they're barely talking these days. And Ma's been gone so long, I can barely imagine her face and smel and hands. Maybe that's what living in America does to you: It spreads you into far distances until you're just little bits rolling apart. It hurts me even to have a thought like that." (126)

As I read this, I was thinking about how my family is spread apart, from the east coast to the west coast. And how they are all so intouch with each other in the east coast and how I barely even remember their names. Nadira has a great point about this. America does kind of spread you apart until your just little bits rolling apart. It is so big and there are only so many people in our families. It happens a lot when you haven't seen someone in a long time. You start to think of things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment