Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gasping and Squirming

"Behind me I hear hundreds of gasps. I don't move, but I can see them: girls and boys we pass in the halls every day; the mothers in their nice summer dresses and the fathers tapping the rolled up program on their knees; the little brothers and sisters squirming in their seats.
'I'm an illegal alien,' Aisha repeats, harder, faster now." (151)
As I read this I was shocked. I was so impressed with Aisha because she had finally accepted her for who she really was. I'm so happy for her. The people in the background gasping and squirming don't have to accept her, they don't have to even care about her. I'm just so proud of her and the rest of the Hossain family. :D
They have gone through so much in this book. I can't even imagine. If any of this happened to my family I don't know how I could manage. I would probably do the same as Aisha, I'd try to hide it but it wouldn't take me as long to accept myself for who I was.
When I finished this book, I took a moment to think about what happened. I thought of how it was a little boring in the beginning, awesome in the middle, and super predictable in the end. The end was super predictable, I mean through out the whole entire book you knew Aisha was going to work up the courage to say that, and you knew that she would become Valedictorian. You also knew Abba would get out of jail and they would be able to stay. In the long run, this was a good book, but it was very, very predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment